26 Ways to spread Kindness
All over the world meetings are cancelled. Events are cancelled. Trips are cancelled.
But a virus, even a pandemic, cannot cancel the most important stuff of life.
Kindness is open for business and the shelves are stocked floor to ceiling in abundant supply. Kindness will not be cancelled.
Here are some ways Serve the City volunteers around the world are showing kindness in personal ways to people in need:
- Make phone calls to check in on the health and well-being of elderly people you know.
- Send hope-filled cards and notes to people that you hear about who are socially or medically isolated.
- Let your nearest neighbours know you are available to help if they need something.
- Create a near-neighbours emergency contact list if one doesn’t already exist.
- Organise online gatherings of friends via Skype or Zoom so people can sing, pray, and share.
- Ask grocery stores if there is food that could be made available and delivered to people in need.
- Order food, flowers, or essential items that can be delivered to people in need, or to friends as a surprise.
- Share accurate information graphics written through the lens of hope to help people stay safe and calm.
- Join or arrange times for near neighbours to all look out their windows and sing, clap, smile, and wave.
- Initiate conversation on social media community forums to stimulate kindness ideas and action.
- Offer to teach others something you know through Facebook Live: how to play a musical instrument, a language, simple home repairs, etc.
- Find out and celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, and other special events for near neighbours, refugees, people who are ill, children, and others.
- Take care of the common spaces where you live: cleaning, sterilising, picking up trash, etc.
- Offer childcare to friends with children at home by reading a book or playing a game with their children online.
- Share any good news you hear, as quickly and as broadly as possible!
- Pack Food bags.
- Make masks.
- Adapt regular projects.
- Virtual trainings.
- Lawn services.
- Packages for caregivers.
- Signs and cards for health care workers.
- Meals and care packages for health care workers.
- Lawn care for health care workers.
- Make hand sanitizer to give away.
- Water tanks for marketplaces.
With that said read more about our COVID-19 response, and you are invited to connect with us every 3rd Monday at 18:00 CET (+1 GMT) for our All City Connect zoom video conference. Stay up to date with our COVID-19 Kindness series of podcasts, posts, and more.
Global Volunteer Day: 8th of May
In spite of the pandemic we will be celebrating volunteerism with our annual Global Volunteer Day on the 2nd Saturday of May, every year, and this year will not be different. Kindness is not cancelled! Take a look and see what different cities are doing around the world, or perhaps, sign up and do something in your city!